After the dust settled over his controversial dismissal, former OpenAI CEO and current CEO of new AI team at Microsoft, Sam Altman has reacted to all the commentary during the day with an X post that looks to encapsulate the past present and the future. Today, after much drama, Microsoft emerged as the clear winner of the in-fighting in OpenAI, with Sam Altman joining a new AI team there as its CEO. OpenAI soon got itself another CEO in the form of Emmett Shear, co-founder of Twitch – he was the third CEO in just over 3 days after Altman and Mira Murati.
Markets have clearly welcomed the move by Altman to join Microsoft as is seen by the share price. OpenAI will not likely benefit from his exit though as he is expected to set up a unit within Microsoft that will rival what OpenAI has been doing. Things are set to get worse for it.
After joining Microsoft, Sam Altman makes strong ‘unity and commitment’ pitch – Detail Points
– Former OpenAI CEO, Sam Altman, has joined Microsoft’s new AI team as CEO
– Microsoft emerged as the clear winner in the in-fighting at OpenAI
– OpenAI’s talks to bring back Altman failed, and Emmett Shear became the new CEO
– Altman’s move to Microsoft has been positively received by the markets
– He is expected to set up a unit within Microsoft that will rival OpenAI’s work
– Altman’s X post suggests unity and commitment within Microsoft’s AI team
– There may be a mass exodus of OpenAI employees to Microsoft
– OpenAI employees have threatened to quit unless their demands are met
– Satya Nadella has indicated his happiness if everyone from OpenAI joins Microsoft
– The role of institutional investors in determining OpenAI’s future is unclear
– Microsoft, as the biggest investor, has hired the man they had sacked, showing a lack of confidence in OpenAI’s board
What is the current status of Sam Altman after leaving OpenAI?
After leaving OpenAI, Sam Altman has joined a new AI team at Microsoft as its CEO. He has expressed excitement for the future and emphasized unity and commitment within the new team.
What is the reaction of the markets to Sam Altman joining Microsoft?
Markets have welcomed the move, as seen by the share price. However, it is not likely that OpenAI will benefit from his exit, as Altman is expected to set up a unit within Microsoft that will rival what OpenAI has been doing.
Is there a possibility of mass exodus of OpenAI employees to Microsoft?
There is a possibility that the entire OpenAI team may shift to Microsoft, as employees have threatened to quit en masse unless their demands, including the return of Altman as CEO, are met. Satya Nadella has indicated his happiness if everyone from OpenAI joins his company.
What role do institutional investors play in the current situation at OpenAI?
The role of institutional investors is unclear at the moment. They had sided with Altman, but things have not worked out. What they say will determine what happens at OpenAI now, more than anyone else. It is notable that Microsoft, the biggest investor, has already passed a no confidence motion against the OpenAI board by hiring the man they had sacked.