The Covid-19 pandemic may not be a threat anymore, but the virus continues to evolve and spread. A new variant named BA.2.86 has emerged and is causing concern in countries such as the UK, China, Israel, Denmark, and the United States. The World Health Organization is closely monitoring this variant due to its many mutations, and its impact remains uncertain.
The BA.2.86 variant is a new sub-variant of the Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 and has been found in several countries. While it is too early to determine if it is more dangerous than previous variants, individuals are advised to watch out for symptoms such as cold, fever, cough, shortness of breath, and headache. Experts recommend taking proper precautions, getting vaccinated, and following COVID-appropriate behavior to minimize the risk of infection.
COVID new variant BA.2.86 more dangerous than Eris – Detail Points
– BA.2.86 is a new sub-variant of the Omicron variant and has been spreading globally
– The variant has several mutations and is being closely monitored by the WHO
– Experts are uncertain about the impact of this variant and whether it is more dangerous than Eris
– Symptoms of the new variant are similar to the flu, including cold, fever, cough, shortness of breath, and fatigue
– International travel without proper measures can lead to spikes in the number of cases
– India’s mass vaccination drive and previous experience with multiple waves may help minimize the severity of infections
– Recommendations from health authorities include avoiding unnecessary international travel, wearing masks, seeking timely treatment for flu-like symptoms, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
COVID new variant BA.2.86 more dangerous than Eris – FAQ’s
Is the BA.2.86 Covid-19 variant a threat?
As of now, the impact of this variant remains uncertain. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has designated the Covid-19 variant as a ‘variant under monitoring’ because of the many mutations it carries. This means that the global health authority is closely tracking the variant and will upgrade it to a ‘variant of concern’ if there is enough evidence.
Is the new Covid variant BA.2.86 more dangerous than Eris?
It is too early to say whether the variant is more infectious or dangerous than the Eris variant. The cases that have come are still not enough to comment on it. Plus, the cases that have been detected are not very serious, and it doesn’t show any signs of being infectious or dangerous.
What are the symptoms of the new Covid variant BA.2.86?
Similar to other variants of Covid-19, the symptoms of this variant are similar to that of the flu. The symptoms to look for include cold, fever, cough, shortness of breath, lethargy, myalgia, headache, loss of taste and smell, sore throat, and loss of appetite.
Is the new Covid variant a threat to India?
While some experts express concern about the potential threat, it is important to continue following COVID-appropriate behavior, keeping vulnerable populations safe, and getting vaccinated to minimize the impact of any new variants.
How to protect yourself from the new Covid variant BA.2.86?
While unnecessary testing has been discouraged, there are several measures recommended by experts to protect yourself from the new Covid variant, including avoiding unnecessary international travel, wearing a mask while traveling, seeking medical attention for flu-like symptoms, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.